Staying at home isn’t easy. I have been staying at home full time since May 2009 when I graduated with my master’s. Sometimes I miss adult interaction, making my own money, and having a schedule or obligations to adhere to besides my children’s schedule. It is very important for women to have their own personal goals while staying at home. The goals can be anything, it doesn’t have to be professional. Here are some tips that I’ve come up with to stay sane while staying at home with the kids:
- Get out of the house! If you can’t do that daily, try to do it at least every other day. This does not mean you have to drive somewhere. A simple walk around the neighborhood to breath in outside air can help lift any spirits.
- Call somebody. Talk to a neighbor. Chatting on Facebook isn’t the same!
- Schedule a “quiet time” for the kids during the day. My son gave up on naps when he was 2; however, I still enforced a “me time”. He could use this time to nap, play quietly in his room, or watch a movie.
- Make a list of chores that you want to accomplish. I know chores suck. However, reward yourself. Sometimes I have to pep myself into doing the laundry (I hate laundry with the passion!). Just think, “if I get the laundry done, I will sit down a relax for 30 minutes”.
- Plan your meals ahead of time. This helps make your day go by smoothly if you already know what’s for dinner.
- Do not sit for too long at a time. The longer you sit, the more you will want to sit!
- Exercise with your children.
- Do not sit for too long doing the exact same thing. For example, if I’m surfing the internet for too long it can become a repetitive waste of time. Mix your day up with different activities.
- Drink water. Sounds like doctor’s advice but sometimes us moms and dads forget to drink during the day. Drinking something pure and not sugary can help us stay healthier.
Do you have any tips to offer?